Want to enable Windows 10 Dark Theme for Windows Explorer? Actually, it is possible and in this tutorial, you will find out how to do that.
Windows 10 Dark theme is the part of the operating system, that means you do not need to implement registry hack to enable black theme in Windows 10. You just need to navigate to Settings apps -> Personalization -> Colors -> Choose your mode (on the right panel).
Unfortunately, the effect of dark mode is only limited to system apps like Calendar, Mail, Windows Store. This means it has no effect on File Explorer. We know very well that there are users who also want dark themes for windows 10. Right? Officially it was not possible, until now, but with the latest build of Windows 10, you can enjoy Windows 10 dark theme for File Explorer.
Starting with Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, the Microsoft has introduced new feature named as Color Filters available under Ease of Access settings in the Settings app. The purpose of adding this feature is to optimize the usability of the operating system for users with several vision issues. The filters work at the system level that means the effect of filters will be on file explorer, built-in Windows apps, third-party apps and more. You can check my previous post on how to enable color filters in Windows 10 to more about this feature.
Enable Windows 10 Dark Theme for File Explorer
The Color filter feature offers various filters out of which one can be used to enable file explorer dark theme in Windows 10. Here is in this article, I will show you how to do that:
1. Launch the Settings app by pressing WIN + I keyboard keys.
2. Navigate to Ease of Access -> Color and High Contrast.
3. On the right pane, first turn on the option which reads “Apply Color filters to Screen“.
4. After that, click on the drop-down under “Choose a filter“. From the list, you can select Invert or Greyscale Inverted filter to enable Windows 10 File Explorer dark mode.
Recommended: You must select Greyscale Inverted filter as it matches the overall dark mode of Windows 10 as it best in comparison of Invert filter.
Here is how both the File Explorer of the Windows 10 looks like when you enable the mentioned filters.
Caution: These color filters work at the system level so when you apply any of these filters, you will see the effect all over.
At any point, if you think this is not what you want you can turn on Color filter feature by pressing WIN +CTRL + C key combos
The Color Filter feature is available in Fall Creators Update of Windows 10 Build 16215. What that means is that users running Windows 10 build below this including Windows 10 Creators Update will not see these settings. In this situation, you can check out the next method discussed in upcoming lines to enable File Explorer black theme in Windows 10.
Enable Windows 10 Dark Themes for File Explorer
Yes, you heard it right. It is possible to have Dark Theme for File Explorer. To achieve this thing, you need to use a Dark / Grey (High Contrast theme) for Windows 10 which is actually developed by DeviantArt user eversins. We have personally tried it on our computers and it looks nice. At least something is better than nothing.
The good thing about this dark Windows 10 theme is that there is no need to modify system files or any requirement of installing third party application.
Things to Keep in Mind
It is High Contrast theme, so chances are high that it will change the look of some application which you have installed on your computer. So it is highly recommended not to try it on your regular computer or laptop.
What you’ll Require
Download the Zip file of Dark Theme Windows 10 || Zip File
Steps to Install Windows 10 Dark Theme for File Explorer
1. Extract the zip file and you will get the theme file.
2. You need to copy the theme file and paste it in the following location.
Keep Two Things in Mind
- Before performing this step make sure to enable the hidden item. For that, launch the File Explorer -> View -> Check Hidden Items option. Doing this will show you all the hidden files. If you do not check this option, you will not see AppData folder in above location.
- In case, you have not used any theme in Windows 10, then you will not see find any Themes folder in above location. In this situation, create the Themes folder yourself and paste the dark Windows 10 theme file in it.
3. Once done, Launch the Settings app -> Personalization -> Themes (Left Panel) -> Click on Theme Settings under Theme (Right Panel).
4. Now another window will open. Here you need to click on a theme to change the desktop background. If you have copied the theme file correctly in above step, then you will see the dark theme for Windows 10 under My Themes. Just click on that theme named as AllDarkEveV2 and in few second you will see the effect of the theme.
That’s it. After applying this theme everything goes dark including the File Explorer. You can check the following screenshots see the result of the theme:
Screenshots of File Explorer for Windows 10, Setting app, and Start Menu
The developer of this theme also mentioned that “This is probably the best I can do with the limited Windows 10 theme capabilities. I urge you to request a Dark theme or a better theme engine from Microsoft.“
In case, you’re looking for some beautiful themes for Windows 10 PC, then you can check my article on best Windows 10 themes.
Disable Dark Theme for Windows 10 File Explorer
In case, you don’t like it and want to go back to default settings, then you just need to change the theme to Windows theme which you can find under default themes.
Why don’t you give a try to these possible ways to enable Windows 10 dark theme for file explorer? Also, don’t forget to share your opinion about the theme in the comments.