If you’re reading this article that means, you looking for a way to reset network data usage in Windows 10 right? In this article, you will find out how to do that.
Windows 10 comes with lots of cool features and one out of them is network data usage monitor. It let you track network data usage without installing any extra software. The feature was missing in the previous version of Windows OS like Windows 7 and Windows 8.
One can easily check network data usage monitor by heading over to Settings -> Network & Internet -> Data usage. This inbuilt data network application also shows you the amount of the data consumed by each and every program and application installed on your Windows 10 PC. This is really useful for the users using network connection with a data cap.
No doubt it is really a good default network data usage monitor, but there is one thing missing in it. By default, it only shows you data consumed by software and application running on your Windows 10 PC in last 30 days and lack option using which users can reset the data usage monitor. But in Windows 10 Creators update, the Microsoft has included this option,
Reset Network Data Usage In Windows 10 Creators Update
Those users who want to track their monthly data usage can take help of this option. Here is how you can reset Windows 10 data usage:
1. Launch the Settings app. For that press WIN + I key.
2. Navigate to Network & Internet -> Date Usage.
3. On the right pane, click on link which reads “View usage details”
4. Here on this window, you will find all details about how much data the application or program installed on your computer have consumed in last 30 days. Simply click on the “Reset usage stats” button.
And you’re done.
With the help of this workaround, you can reset network data usage just by making few clicks.
Before resetting Date Usage
After resetting Date Usage
In case, you’re still have not updated to Windows 10 Creator Update, then you might not see this option to reset date usage. In this situation, you can take help of the following workaround. You need to delete a system file that keeps all the details of network date usage. Although, many users may not want to try this workaround as they need to delete a system file. But this is the only way to reset date usage.
Reset | Clear Data Usage in Windows 10
1. First of all, you need to boot your Windows 10 PC in safe mode, as you won’t be able to clear or reset network data usage in a regular mode. For that, you need to type and search “msconfig” in start menu search bar. When system configuration app appears in the search result. Click to open it.
2. This will open System Configuration window. It will look like shown in the following screenshot:
3. Here you need to switch to Boot tab. Under it, tick-mark the box next to Safe mode. Keep in mind that Minimal option is chosen. After that click on the Apply button and then OK button.
Note: If you’ve installed Windows 10 in dual boot. Make sure to check the current Windows edition or version under boot tab in the above window before tick marking the Safe mode option.
4. Now you will see the following dialog box. You need to click on the Restart button to boot into Windows 10 Safe mode.
You might love to read about two ways to boot into Safe Mode in Windows 10
5. When your system boot into safe mode. You need to head over to the following directory:
In the above-mentioned location, “C:” represent the location where you have installed Windows 10 OS.
6. Here in the sru folder, you will find around 10 files, you need to delete all of them. Once done, this will clear and reset data usage in Windows 10.
7. After that, you need to again the system configuration application just like mentioned in step 2. Here switch to Boot tab and uncheck the box next to Safe mode. Click on the Apply button and then OK button.
Now head over to Network & Internet -> Data usage. The date usage counter will show you refreshed details.
So these are two possible ways to reset or clear the data usage stats in Windows 10. I hope you find them useful.