Looking for a way to automatically lock Windows 10 PC when you’re away? Actually, it is possible and in today’s article, I will show you how to do that.
Windows 10, the new Windows operating system from Microsoft have lots of cool and new features which were missing in the previous versions. One convenient feature which company employed in the Windows 10 Creator Update version 1706 is the Dynamic Lock. And guess what? Using this feature you can automatically lock your Windows 10 PC if you’re away from it. Cool right? Yes, it is. You can read my this post on
How Windows 10 Dynamic Lock Automatically Your PC
Now you might be wondering how Dynamic Lock feature will lock Windows 10 PC automatically when you’re away right? Let me explain it to you.
The process is based on the connection between the two Bluetooth devices “Windows 10 PC” and “Smartphone”. Suppose both the devices are linked with each other using Bluetooth. Now if your phone goes away from the Bluetooth range for more than 30 seconds. Your Windows 10 PC will automatically lock. And now you’re required to log into your Windows 10 using default login method it could Password, PIN, and Picture Password.
The purpose of employing this features into the Windows 10 OS is to protect your PC from prying eyes.
Enable Windows 10 Dynamic Lock
You can read my previous post on how to enable Dynamic Lock in Windows 10 to know more about it. So here is how you can configure Dynamic Lock feature to automatically lock your PC when you’re away.
1. First of all, you’re required to Turn on Bluetooth on your PC and your smartphone.
Turn on Bluetooth on Windows 10 PC
- Launch Settings app by pressing WIN + I
- Head over to Devices -> Bluetooth
- On the right pane, look for Bluetooth option and turn it on.
Turn on Bluetooth on your Smartphone
The process to turn on Bluetooth vary in different smartphones. But normally you can turn it on under phone settings.
2. Under Settings -> Devices -> Bluetooth on the right pane click on the “Add a Bluetooth or other device”
3. New pop-up will comes showing you three different options
- Wireless display or dock
- Everything else
From these three options, you need to click on the “Bluetooth” option.
Note: Make sure at this point you phone Bluetooth is enabled. If not, the PC will not detect your device.
4. Now system will start looking for the Bluetooth devices in the range
5. Your phone will receive pairing request, tap to accept it and you need to do the same on your PC
On Windows 10 PC
So at this point, you have linked your phone with Windows 10 PC.
6. Now you need to navigate to Settings -> Accounts-> Sign-in options. On the right pane, scroll down until you find Dynamic Lock and turn it on.
That’s it! So both the devices are linked and from now onward if your phone goes away from the Bluetooth range for more than 30 seconds. Your Windows 10 PC will automatically lock. You can unlock your Windows 10 PC or Laptop just by logging into it and start using your PC from where you left it.
Did you like this privacy feature.Why don’t you try this useful feature of Windows 10? Have you tried this useful feature already? Let me know in the comments.