Looking for a way to reactivate Windows 10 after hardware change? Actually, it is possible and in today’s article, you will read step by step instruction on how to do that.
Every build of Windows 10 comes with some interesting features and same in the case of build 14371. Microsoft improved the Activation feature of Windows 10 by adding a new option that let you activate Windows 10 after changing major hardware like motherboard, SSD and Hard Drive.
Windows 10 users who don’t know about Windows 10 activation issue, Microsoft provides you digital license (formerly know as digital entitlement) to your computer or laptop when users upgraded to Windows 10 from the previous version of Windows using free upgrade offer. This license is used to activate a copy of Windows 10, when you change major PC hardware, reinstall or perform a clean installation of Windows 10.
Until now there were users who won’t able to activate their copy of Windows 10, after changing computer hardware, importantly after changing the motherboard. And users need to contact Microsoft support team to activate their copy of Windows 10 after hardware changes.
But in the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, the company decided to include the feature that let users link their Windows 10 digital license to their Microsoft account so that they can reactivate their copy of Windows 10 after changing hardware, or performing a clean installation.
How to link your Windows 10 digital license to Microsoft account
In case you’re using Microsoft account to login into your computer and laptop, then you don’t need to do anything from your end. It is because when login using Microsoft account, then your Windows 10 license is automatically linked to your account.
If your Windows 10 license is already linked to your Microsoft account, then you will see the following images.
Now this confirms that you don’t need to do anything.
If you’re using a local user account?
In case, you’re using the Local account and not using any Microsoft account, then you need to link it manually. You can follow the steps for doing that:
1. Launch Windows 10 Settings apps -> Accounts.
2. Select Your info tab on the left panel. On the right panel, click on Sign in with Microsoft account instead link.
3. New windows will pop up. If you don’t have Microsoft account, then click on No Account. Create One option. If you have already created a Microsoft account, then you need to enter the Email ID, Password and click on Sing in button.
Note: Another Window will popup asking you to enter the current password, If you’re using any password to log in, then you need to enter here otherwise leave it blank and click Next button.
4. To confirm whether your copy of Windows 10 is linked to Microsoft account or not. You need to click on Manage My Microsoft Account link and it will open your Microsoft account in a browser.
5. Here you will see the list of all the Windows devices connected to Microsoft accounts. Click on the one of which you linked a copy of Windows 10 to Microsoft account.
6. In this Windows, you will see your linked device with it all details. In my Case, it is Windows 10 Professional Edition. As you can see in the following screenshot.
You can also visit Settings -> Update & security -> Activation (On the left panel) -> On the right panel you will see the message that Windows is Activated with digital license linked to your Microsoft account.
How to Activate Copy of Windows 10 After Changing Hardware
If you have already linked your copy of Windows 10 to your Microsoft account, then you need to follow the steps in upcoming lines:
1. Open Settings App -> Update & Security
2. Click on Activation tab on the left panel.
Note: If your copy of Windows 10 is not activated, then you will see a link labeled as Troubleshoot.
3. You need to click on the Troubleshoot link which is on the right panel and it will launch the Windows 10 Activation Troubleshooter. It will try to activate your copy of Windows 10 after hardware changes.
4. In case, if it fails to activate the copy. You will see a link labeled as I changed the hardware of this device recently. Click on it and it will take you to the page where you need to enter your Microsoft account and Password.
5. After that choose your Windows PC from the list of the Windows devices and checkmark the box This is the device I am using right now and click on Activate button to activate a copy of Windows 10.
Why don’t you try these instructions and let us know if you need any assistance?
Source and Images: Twitter @Tero Alhonen