If you have forgotten your password to log on to Windows 10 and you do not have another account to access it, then don’t worry. In this tutorial, I will show you how to reset the password of Windows 10 without using any third party software. All you need is Windows 10 bootable media.
Just follow the step by step instruction mentioned in upcoming lines.
Things you will require
To continue you need a bootable media (USB Drive or DVD Drive) based on the architecture of your PC or Tablet. For example, If you have installed Windows 10 Pro 64-bit installation media, then you require Windows 10 Pro 64-bit installation media.
Note: You can use the same trick to reset Windows 7 and Windows 8 password using the same trick and require same installation media.
How to Reset Windows 10 Password
Now you just need to follow all the steps mentioned below back to back:
1. You need to boot from installation media (DVD/USB) having Windows 10 setup.
2. Now wait for the Windows 10 setup screen to appear.
3. Here you need to Press Shift + F10 keys and Command Prompt window will appear.
4. In the Command Prompt, you need to type Regedit and hit Enter to execute the command. Now this will launch the Registry Editor.
5. Click on HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key on the left.
6. Click on the menu File and select Load Hive.
7. In the Load Hive dialog box, you need to choose the following file:
In the above address, you need to replace the DRIVE part with a letter of the drive where Windows installation is located. Normally its is D:
Locate the file named as SYSTEM and click to Open.
8. Now you need to enter the name of your choice for the hive you’re loading. For example, I gave it a name 222 and click OK
9. Head over to the following key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\222\Setup.
10. Edit the cmdline parameter. For that, Perform a double click on the key CmdLine, and in the Value Data type cmd.exe. When finished, click OK .
11. Perform a double click on the key SetupType and in Value data, type 2. When finished, click OK.
12. Click 222 on the left and run the file. Unload hive menu item in Regedit.
13. Close the Registry Editor and close all the Windows including Command Prompt and Windows Setup.
The Popup will appear about for cancellation of the installation, click Yes .
14. The PC will restart. Set BIOS to boot from the disk that already has Windows installed. Or remove the bootable media and let the system load normally.
15. The operating system will start with a Command Prompt.
16. Type the following command and press
Enter : net user
You will see all the accounts on PC/tablet.
17. To set the new password for the user. You need to type the following command:
net user login new_password
If login name includes space, you need to type as it is.
net user "your login" new_password
Just like shown in the image below:
18. Type regedit command and press Enter to launch Registry Editor
19. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Setup .
20. Perform a double click on the key CmdLine, and in the Value data deleted this content. When finished, click OK .
21. Perform a double click on the key SetupType and in Value data , type 0. When finished, click OK .
22. Close the Registry Editor and Command Prompt window to continue.
23. The operating system will start and will show the password entry screen. Type the new, press Enter, and you will have access to the account again.
The good thing is this trick work fine on both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.
Why don’t you try this trick to reset password of Windows 10 ? Is it helpful to you? Let us know in the comments.