Most of the users who updated to Windows 10 recently are facing the issue with the MS Paint, Microsoft has replaced our good-old version of MS Paint with something called “Paint 3D” and a lot of the Windows 10 users don’t like it that much and want a solution to this problem.
The classic MS paint app loads faster and most of the users have always used to it to crop pictures real quick, edit screenshots and what not. The classic paint app has its own cult and is surely still in demand.
If you too are searching for ways to get back the old MS Paint on your machine, follow any of these 3 methods of restoring original MS Paint – the first two will be the temporary solutions and the third one is a full-proof (update resistant) solution.
Uninstall Paint 3D App via Settings App [Method One]
1. Open up the Settings app.
For that, press WIN + I keyboard shortcuts.
2. Go to System -> Apps & Features. On the right pane, you will get the list of all the apps installed on the system.
3. Scroll down and look for the app named as Paint 3D Preview. Click on it and Press the Uninstall button.
And since the paint 3D will be uninstalled, Windows 10 will be forced to use the old-school MS paint, at least in Windows 10 build 14971.
Note: If you have upgraded to latest Windows 10 Insider Build 14986, then above method will not work.
Get Back Classic Paint App using Registry Editor [Method Two]
1. Open up Registry Editor.
For that, you need to type regedit in the Start menu search bar. When regedit command appears in the search result click to run it.
When UAC screen appears, click Yes to continue.
2. Go to this location,
For quickly navigating to above entry, copy the above address and paste it in the Registry editor address bar.
Note: If you can’t see Settings key under Paint, then create one
3. Under Settings, Create a new 32-bit DWORD parameter and name it “DisableModernPaintBootstrap” and make sure you set its value to 1.
This registry edit will temporarily block the Paint 3D and instead of that, it will run the original classic MS paint. But remember, this is a temporary solution and will stop working with future Windows updates.
Download the Classic MS Paint app [Method Three]
In case, you want to keep both the Classic MS Paint app and Modern Paint 3D preview so that you can use the one according to your desire, then try this method.
This is a full-proof solution to this problem, all you need to do is download the Classic Paint app and use it like you have always used. No future Windows updates will end up changing anything.
1. Download the classic paint app from this LINK.
2. Run the installer and install the app.
3. Once you have successfully installed the classic paint app, you can use it like any other normal app on your machine. Use the following ways to run the Paint app
- From the Start menu, you can find the paint app named as “Paint (Classic)”
- Desktop icon with the name Paint (Classic). You can click on it to run the app.
- Type mspaint.exe in the RUN dialog box to launch the Paint app.
At any point, you want to revert back to the Modern Paint 3D app, simply uninstall the Classic MS Paint from the Settings apps just like shown in the following screenshot.
In case, you’re running the latest Windows 10 build, then let me know what you prefer Classic MS Paint app or Modern paint 3D app.