In today’s article, you will read about the workaround to fix Command Prompt popup after installing Microsoft Office.
There are lots of Windows 10 users who have enrolled for Microsoft Office Insider program and most of them selected to get Microsoft Office build in the Fast Ring are facing an issue. According to them, after installing MS office, mysteriously a command prompt windows comes up on the screen every hour and disappears quickly without any action. Now this is issue completely weird and annoying.
Suppose you’re playing a game in a full screen and mysteriously that Command Prompt popup appear and steal all your focus from that game. It can be worst, especially when you’e playing one person shooter game or role playing game. And there might be other situations under which you may lose your important process which need quick user interaction.
You might be wondering why MS Office is causing the command prompt to pop up. This issue is first identified on Microsoft Answers one two or three weeks ago and culprit causing this issue is the “OfficeBackgroundHandlerRegistration” task that runs all the time in the background and can be found running on any machine or in the task manager.
The issue is also noticed by Microsoft and the fix is already released. Unfortunately, the fix is only available to the users who have selected to receive MS Office 2016 Insider build (16.0.8201.2025) updates in the Slow ring.
Fix: Command Prompt Popup After Installing MS Office
In case, you’re also facing the same issue and don’t want to switch to slow ring, then here is what you need to do to fix the issue right now:
1. Open Administrative Tools. For that, Press WIN + R keyboard keys at the same time to launch RUN dialog box. In the space provides type following command:
shell:common administrative tools
2. This will open the Windows Administrative tools. Here click on the “Task Scheduler” shortcut.
3. On the left pane, click on the down arrow next to item named as “Task Scheduler Library” and navigate to Microsoft -> Office.
4. Here you need to look for the task named as “OfficeBackgroundTaskHandlerRegistration“.
5. Make right click on the above listed ask and from the context menu choose “Disable” option.
This will fix the issue and from now onward you will not see mysterious Command Prompt Popup every our. Give a try this solution and let me know if this fix the issue.
Source and Credit: MSPowerUser