Don’t want Microsoft Edge as your default PDF program? In this article, you will learn how to change it with our simple tutorial, plus how to set other programs as default PDF viewer.
If you have recently upgraded to Windows 10, then you might have noticed that the Microsoft Edge is not only the default browser but it also a default PDF viewer. Yes! you heard it right, Edge is the default PDF viewer of the Windows 10.
Now it’s an amazing achievement of Microsoft Edge, as its has also joined the web PDF viewer list of Chrome, Firefox, and other modern browsers. But there are users who really don’t like it and looking for a way to change it to other PDF viewers like Adobe readers.
There is an option using which you can easily change the default pdf viewer in Windows 10, but some users reported that they were unable to change the default PDF program to Adobe.
Change or Disable Microsoft Edge as Default PDF Program in Windows 10
I don’t know what method they used to disable Microsoft Edge as default PDF program, but in this article, I will share with you three different ways on how to change it, plus how to set other programs as default PDF viewer.
So here goes the first method:
Change Microsoft Edge as Default PDF Program in Windows 10 [Using PDF File]
With the help of this method, you can change default PDF viewer in a single click or two. Here is what you need to do:
1. Just right click on the any PDF file
2. From the options, click on Open With -> Choose another app.
3. Now new pop-up will appear labeled as How do you want to open this file. You will also notice that Edge is default PDF viewer.
4. Just click on Adobe reader or the app you want to use from the list and check the box labeled as Always use this app to open .pdf file and click OK.
From now onwards, Adobe reader will open all your PDF files. In case, this method didn’t work for you, go for the second method.
Change Microsoft Edge as Default PDF Application in Windows 10 [Settings App]
It’s one of the best, simple and shortest method. For that you need to:
1. Launch the Settings app.
2. Click on Systems, On the left panel, look for Default apps, and click to open.
3. On the right panel, Scroll down to the bottom and click on the link labeled as Choose Default apps by file type. Here you will get a list of Associate file types with specific apps. You need to look for .pdf in the list.
4. When you find the .pdf file type in the list, you will notice that Microsoft Edge is selected as the default application. Simply click on it and you will get a pop-up showing you other apps suggestion which wants to use as default PDF viewer.
For example, you want to set Adobe reader as default PDF viewer, select it from the list.
Change Default PDF Viewer in Windows 10 [Control Panel]
In case, both the methods are not working for you, then you can also use Control Panel to change disable the Edge browser as default browser and set any other application. For that:
1. Search the Control Panel using Start menu search bar.
2. Click on Programs -> Default Program – > Associate a file type or protocol with a program. Wait for few second as it will take few seconds to get you list of all the programs.
3. Scroll down until you find .pdf file. Select it and click on Change program button.
4. The pop-up will appear from the list, select the application which you want to set a default PDF viewer.
That’s it! You’re done!
If you’re looking for some of the Adobe Reader alternatives, then check out my post on the best and free PDF Reader apps for Windows 10 | Adobe Reader Alternatives
Why don’t you try these methods and let me know which one you find it easier? Also, let us know what you think about Edge browser as web pdf viewer?