If your Windows 10 is not activated, then you won’t be able to make changes in Windows 10 Settings. The worst past is that you won’t be able to change desktop background. Now, what? Actually, I have got a trick using which you can change the background without activating Windows 10.
When Windows 10 is not activated, then personalization Window of Settings apps looks similar to screenshot shared below:
You can clearly see grayed out buttons that protect users from changing the desktop background. But there is a workaround that let you bypass this limitation.
How to Change Windows 10 background Wallpaper without activation
It prevents you from changing the Desktop wallpaper. But there is a trick which you can use to bypass this limitation. Here is how to do it:
There are two ways to bypass this limitation, and I will share both of them back to back.
Using File Explorer
1. You need to launch File Explorer and navigate to the following location:
2. Under Wallpaper folder, you will find three sub-folders named as
- Flowers – have flower wallpapers
- Windows – default windows 10 hero wallpaper
- Windows 10 – Some other beautiful wallpapers
3. Once you find the wallpaper which you want to set a desktop background. Make right-click on that image and from the menu click on Set as desktop background and it will change in no seconds.
Guess what? You have changed desktop background ignoring the fact that Windows 10 is not activated.
Alternate Method: Use Internet Explorer
I know you really hate Internet Explorer but using this former Internet Explorer of Windows 10 you can bypass the limitation of changing the desktop wallpaper. Here is how it goes:
1. Launch Internet Explorer. You can search it using Windows 10 Start menu search box.
2. In Internet Explorer launch the website which you normally use to download wallpapers. Or you can perform Google search for to find the wallpaper.
3. Open the full image in internet Explorer by making right click on the image.
4. From context menu choose Set as background. It will ask for your confirmation, Click Yes. Your selected image will be set a desktop background.
Did you know Windows Spotlight feature of Windows 10 is features awesome backgrounds on the login screen? You can also set them as a desktop background, check this article to know more: Find Windows Spotlight Images and Set them as desktop background
I hope you find this trick helpful. Let us know your opinion in the comment.