Looking for a way to change Windows 10 Game DVR folder location in Windows 10? Actually, it is possible and in this article, you will read step by step guide on how to do that.
Game DVR is one of the useful features of Windows 10 dedicated to gamers. With the help of Game DVR features let Windows 10 users record gameplay in high definition without using any third party screen recorder software.
Windows 10 Game DVR let you record almost all the PC games, Default apps accompanied with apps installed from Windows Store and classic desktop programs. Although, you can’t record all the areas of Windows 10 OS which includes Windows 10 File Explore and Desktop at least as of writing this article.
With default settings, Game DVR keep all the recording in the following folder:
In above location “C:” is the drive where you have installed Windows and “UserName” is your account name. In my case, it’s C:\Users\Winranx\Videos\Captures
Gamers who frequently record gameplay using Game DVR feature complaining that system drive fills up quickly because of these game clips. Due to this reason lots of users who wants to change Game DVR folder or captures location in Windows 10. The worst part is that there is no way to alter these settings. Now what that means is that there is no way to change the location where Game DVR stores gameplays and screenshots.
In case, your system drive is filling very quickly because of Game DVR recordings, then you can move the Game DVR folder to another data drive to free up space. Now the problem is that Windows 10 doesn’t allow you to change default Game DVR folder or you can’t move the same folder.
Now here is a trick, we cannot move Game DVR folder in Windows 10, but we can move Video folder (its parent folder of capture folder where Game DVR keeps screenshots and clips). Now, this is what we’re going to do to move Game DVR folder to another data drive.
In laymen’s language, using this method, we’re not moving the Game DVR folder (which is not possible), but we moving Video folder (which is possible) which indirectly move the Game DVR folder to another drive and fix the issue causing the system drive fill up quickly.
Move Game DVR Captures Folder in Windows 10
In following lines, you’re going to read step by step guide to move Game DVR folder or captures folder to different data drive in Windows 10
1. Open File Explorer in Windows 10. Press WIN + E keyboard shortcuts.
2. On the left pane, look for “This PC” and click on arrow icon visible on the left side. Now more folders will appear including “Videos” folder.
Here you need to make right click on Video folder and from the context menu select Properties to open Video properties.
3. In the Video Properties window, you need to switch to Location tab.
4. Here you need to click on the Move button and browse the new location where you want to save Game DVR recordings and videos folder. After that, click on the Select Folder button.
Click on Apply button and then OK.
5. Now confirmation pop-up will appear. Here you need to click on the Yes button just like shown in the following screenshot:
After making above changes, you will see that Videos folder is switched to new location which you have set up using above steps. Just like shown in the following screenshot:
From now onwards all the recording and screenshots captured by Game DVR folder will be saved in videos folder in new data drive.
Restore Game DVR Captures folder to default location
At any point, if you want to revert back to Game DVR capture folder to default location. Here is what you need to do:
1. Following the same steps discussed above, you need to open Video Properties by making right click on the Video folder available in the Navigation pane in the File Explorer.
2. Switch to Location tab.
3. Here click on the “Restore default” button.
I hope you find this tutorial useful.