If you really want to make login screen of Windows 10 more private, use this guide on how to change account name in Windows 10.
Whenever you start your computer or laptop with Windows 10 installed in it, you definitely have noticed your full name along with your email id on the login screen, it’s a private information that is fetched from Microsoft account that you created to setup your computer.
There is nothing wrong in displaying user details on the sign-in screen, but some people really care about their privacy, especially when using the computer in a public place.
The worst part is that Windows 10 doesn’t provide you setting or option to remove your complete name, or let you pick a username instead, as it’s achievable while using a local user account. Although you can fix this issue at some level by altering your name which you used in your Microsoft Account, that atleast not expose your full identity, like changing the name to something different or using few letters or first and last name.
In this Windows 10 tutorial, you will check step by step instruction that helps you to quickly change the name displayed on the login screen of your computer and make it more private. The credit for this guide goes to Windows Central
How to Change Account Name in Windows 10 Login Screen [Microsoft Account]
To change the name on the login screen of Windows 10, while using Microsoft Account. You need to:
1. Launch the Settings app using (Windows + I) keyboard shortcut -> Accounts.
2. Here on the left panel click on Your information. Now on the right panel, Click on the linked labeled as Manage my Microsoft account.
Now it will automatically open your Microsoft Account profile in the Web browser.
3. On the main page, you need to click on Edit name option available on the left side of the page.
4. Now your first and last name to something which is totally different from your identity, and hit Save.
5. Reboot your computer and you will notice that the name you changed in your Microsoft Account appears on Windows 10 login screen. In most of the cases, it may take upto 15 minutes to sync new changes to your machine.
Note: Keep in mind that using this trick, you will also change the name on the outlook.com account and other Microsoft services. This will also change the name on any other computer that is connected to this Microsoft Account.
How to Change Account Name in Windows 10 Login Screen [Local Account]
To change the name on the login screen of Windows 10, while using Local Account. You need to:
1. Open Control Panel, to quickly launch it, use the Windows key + X keyboard shortcut.
2. Under User Account, click on change account type.
3. After that, choose your local account.
4. Click on the link labelled as Change the account name.
5. Here enter the new name which you want to display on the login screen, click on Change name button to complete the task.
Were you aware of this procedure to change account name in Windows 10 login screen? Let us know in the comments.